NEWS & UPDATES
Sarawak Energy Centenary Townhall: 100 Years of Powering Sarawak
21 FEBRUARY 2022
Sarawak Energy commemorated a century of growth and transformation into Malaysia’s largest renewable energy developer and primary provider of electricity to Sarawak and beyond at a hybrid townhall event today.
Attended by staff from 19 different meeting locations as well as from homes and individual workstations with the primary event broadcast from BCCK, the townhall reflected on Sarawak Energy’s transformational journey over the past century and provided a look forward into the next century of growth.
Sarawak Chief Minister, Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg officiated at the townhall held at the Borneo Convention Centre Kuching.
The townhall was hosted by Datu Haji Sharbini Suhaili, Sarawak Energy Group Chief Executive Officer along with Sarawak Energy Board members and the senior management team. Among the attendees were also past members of the board and management team.
Also in attendance were Deputy Chief Minister, Dato Sri Professor Dr. Sim Kui Hian, Dato Sri Dr. Stephen Rundi Utom, Minister for Modernisation of Agriculture and Regional Development, Datuk Haji Julaihi Haji Narawi, Minister for Utility and Telecommunication, Assistant Ministers for Utility and Telecommunication, Datuk Liwan Lagang and Datuk Dr. Haji Abdul Rahman Bin Haji Junaidi and Dr Hazland Bang Hipni, Assistant Minister for Energy and Environmental Sustainability.
The Group turned 100 years old last year in 2021 but celebrations were deferred as a result of the restrictions of the pandemic, with the allocation as well as staff donations handed over to Tabung Bencana Sarawak to alleviate the burden of fellow Sarawakians.
Sarawak Energy started as an Electrical Section within the Public Works Department in 1921 to oversee electricity supply in Sarawak and has grown into an energy development company and vertically integrated power utility with a vision to achieve sustainable growth and prosperity for Sarawak by meeting the region's need for reliable and renewable energy—providing electricity to 3 million Sarawakians in urban and rural areas as well as bulk power to energy intensive and export customers.
Aside from reflecting on the past, acknowledging present milestones and a look into future prospects of Sarawak Energy, the townhall saw the launching of the Group’s centenary commemorative stamps and also the Sarawak Energy Virtual Gallery.
Sarawak Energy is also marking the 100-year milestone by launching the Sarawak Energy Corporate Wide Integrated Tree Planting Campaign on 22 April 2021 as part of Sustainability & Sarawak Energy 2.0. This campaign works across Sarawak Energy's assets, facilities, locations and together with communities and authorities. Sarawak Energy aspires to plant and protect 500,000 trees from 2021 to 2030.
This is an extension of its previous environmental initiatives and reaffirms the Group's commitment to sustainability and climate action.
As Malaysia's largest renewable energy provider, Sarawak Energy continues to create space for growth towards realising its aspiration to be a renewable energy powerhouse in Southeast Asia.
As of the end of 2021, Sarawak overall electricity supply coverage reached 98.6 per cent, with full coverage for urban areas and 96.5 per cent over the rural areas, while the remaining 3.5 per cent to be achieved by 2025.
Sarawak Energy is committed to providing affordable 24/7 electricity access for all Sarawakians and continues to invest significantly in a modern and reliable power system.
Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg signs the digital guest book at the Sarawak Energy Centenary Townhall event as from left Deputy Chief Minister Dato Sri Professor Dr. Sim Kui Hian and Sarawak Energy Group Chief Executive Officer Datu Haji Sharbini Suhaili look on.
Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg launches Sarawak Energy 100 Years commemorative stamps
Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg launches Sarawak Energy 100 Years commemorative stamps as (from left) Minister for Utility and Telecommunication Datuk Haji Julaihi Haji Narawi, Deputy Chief Minister Dato Sri Professor Dr. Sim Kui Hian, Sarawak Energy Group Chief Executive Officer Datu Haji Sharbini Suhaili, Past Chairman Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan Hong Nam and Minister for Modernisation of Agriculture and Regional Development Dato Sri Dr. Stephen Rundi Utom look on.
Sarawak Energy Group Chief Executive Officer Datu Hj Sharbini Suhaili presented Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg a framed up Sarawak Energy 100 Years commemorative stamps as others look on.