NEWS & UPDATES
Sarawak Energy Safety Message: Stay Clear of Fallen Power Lines
13 NOVEMBER 2019
Members of the public are reminded to be cautious during stormy weather for strong winds could cause electricity poles to break or fall. There is a possibility that these damaged electrical facilities may still be energised and hazardous to safety.
The public should stay clear of these fallen power lines and immediately alert Sarawak Energy by contacting its 24-hour Customer Care Centre at 1300 88 3111 or through the SEB cares mobile app to report the incident. Sarawak Energy will deploy its technical team to remove and replace the fallen electricity poles and power lines safely.
While the technical team is on high alert for speedy restoration of supply to areas affected by damaged poles, the public are advised to practice these safety tips:
- If you see a fallen power line, do not touch it and keep at least 10m away from the site.
- Do not drive over fallen power lines.
- Always assume every fallen power line is energised and alert Sarawak Energy immediately for assistance.
In a situation where power lines fall onto your vehicle, please observe the following:
- Remain inside the vehicle until help arrives and alert others to keep clear and not to touch the vehicle.
- If one must leave the vehicle due to other dangers such as fire, jump away from the vehicle with both feet on the ground at the same time. Always continue to keep your feet together on the ground by jumping away at least 10m from the site.
- Do Not walk or run. A fallen line creates a voltage change on the ground surface, and movements such as walking or running near the lines could result in electrocution as electricity can travel through the body.-ENDS