NEWS & UPDATES
Electrical Safety Message From Sarawak Energy
KUCHING, 16 FEBRUARY 2017, THURSDAY: Sarawak Energy’s retail and operations arm SESCO reminds members of the public to be cautious in regards to electrical safety with the recent weather conditions of persistent rainfall throughout the state.
In the interest of public safety, SESCO will switch off supply to affected substations without notice in a flood situation or if water reaches danger levels. Power supply will be restored as soon as it is safe to do so.
The following safety precautions should be taken during the current rainy conditions, as electrical hazards pose major safety risks during flooding.
BEFORE A FLOOD
- Move electrical equipment to floors or areas above the anticipated flood level at the earliest sign of rising flood waters.
DURING A FLOOD
- Avoid using electrical appliances.
- One of the basic but most crucial steps to take when flooding occurs is to switch off all electrical power by turning off the main switchboard.
- Once water has entered the building and if the main power switch was not turned off, members of the public must not attempt to turn it off.
- Do not go near SESCO electrical installations which are submerged or affected by flood water.
- Parents are advised to monitor their children, especially when playing in flood water, to ensure they do not approach or go near snapped electrical wires as they might still conduct electricity.
- When boating in a flooded area, be extra-cautious of low hanging power lines
AFTER A FLOOD
When an electrical appliance or installation has been submerged in water, it should not be switched on even after flood water recedes for there are risks of electrocution or fire.
Before switching back on the main supply, the public are advised to have a qualified electrician to inspect all wiring and appliances.
For more lifesaving electrical safety tips, Sarawak Energy has prepared an electrical safety message which is available on its corporate website at www.sarawakenergy.com.my. You can also follow us on twitter for updates via @1sarawakenergy.
Customers may seek more information by calling Sarawak Energy’s Customer Care Centre which operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
CUSTOMER CARE CENTRE: 1300 88 3111
or through Sarawak Energy’s “SEB Cares” Mobile App which is available for download at Apple’s App Store for iOS and Google’s Play Store for Android.
Safety is Sarawak Energy’s top priority and appreciates the understanding, patience and cooperation from members of the public.