SARAWAK ENERGY CUP 2019
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
This Tournament is organised by Sarawak Energy Berhad.
- NAME OF TOURNAMENT
The Tournament shall be called Sarawak Energy Cup – Badminton Tournament (the “Tournament”).
The tournament aims to promote Badminton game in the state and to implant healthy lifestyle as well as to foster friendship and community building to be united through sports.
The Tournament shall be held at Sentosa Sports Centre. In the event if the badminton hall of Sentosa Sports Centre is not available and/or adequate, the Organising Committee may decide to hold the Tournament at any other venue to be decided by the Organising Committee with prior notice to the participants.
This Tournament is opened to all the residents of Sarawak (who possess NRIC (Blue IC) with the State Codes of 13 and 52).
To further promote the interest in Badminton amongst the residents and/or non-residents of Sarawak, the organizing committee has introduced the “Men’s Double (Invitation)”. Under this category, players who are not residents of Sarawak as per the description above can also be invited to participate. As for “Men’s Double (Invitation + Sarawakian)” category, one of the players can be non-resident of Sarawak.
The Organising Committee reserves the right to determine the eligibility of the players. The decision of the Organising Committee is FINAL.
- FORMAT OF TOURNAMENT
This Tournament is an Inter-Team Badminton Tournament, play on five (5) matches. Team that has won three (3) matches is the winner. The five matches include:
1st match - Men’s Double Open 2nd match - Novice Men’s Double 3rd match - Men’s Double (Invitation) 4th match - Veteran Men’s Double 5th match - Men’s Double (Invitation + Sarawakian)
The arrangement or order of play for the Men’s Double is to be decided by each participating team (Close Line Up).
Novice player as defined for this tournament as those who has NEVER represented Malaysia, Sarawak (Under SBA) and any other state, in any tournament such as SUKMA, Borneo Games, and has NEVER entered any finals in Open Level tournament organized by BAM or SBA.
***The Organizing Committee reserves the right to determine the state of a Novice Player whenever there is a need.
Veteran players refer to those who born on/before 1974.
- TOURNAMENT SYSTEM
The Tournament will be played on a group league system with semi-final and final play-off. Each player is permitted to participate in one (1) tie per match. Matches will be played on a 21 points 3 games system.
Group League System and Knock Out Stage
Participants will be drawn into four (4) groups or more. The top THREE (3) teams with the highest ranking after the group league system shall enter the Sarawak Energy Cup, Plate & Shield final of this Tournament.
- If two teams have won the same number of ties, the ranking will be decided by the result of the tie between them.
- If three or more teams have won the same number of ties, ranking will be decided by the total number of matches won. If this leaves two teams equal, ranking will be decided by the result of the tie between them.
- If three or more teams have won the same number of ties and the same number of matches, ranking will be decided by the difference between total games won and total games lost, with greater difference ranked higher. If this leaves two teams equal, ranking will be decided by the result of the tie between them.
- If three or more teams have won the same number of ties and the same number of matches and have the same difference between total games won and total games lost, ranking will be decided by the difference between total points won and total points lost, with greater difference ranked higher. If this leaves two teams equal, ranking will be decided by the result of the tie between them.
- If three or more teams have won the same number of ties and the same number of matches, have the same difference between total games won and total games lost and have the same difference between total points won and total points lost, ranking will be decided by drawing lots.
- All results of any team that has been disqualified or withdraws shall be entirely deleted.
- The winner of each Group will be selected as XX1, XX2, & XX3 (for example: XX1 is the first place in the group).
- The First (1st) Place of each group will proceed to compete for Sarawak Energy Cup.
- The Second (2nd) Place of each group will proceed to compete for Sarawak Energy Plate.
- The Third (3rd) Place of each group will proceed to compete for Sarawak Energy Shield, whereas the Forth place (4th) will get knock out from the game.
Group League Stage
Single Knock Out Stage
Sarawak Energy Cup
Sarawak Energy Plate
Sarawak Energy Shield
- (b) Play-off System
From the Sarawak Energy Cup, Sarawak Energy Plate, & Sarawak Energy Shield onwards, the Tournament will be played on a single knock-out system.
- (c) Walkover
- Any team who fails to turn up or to play their 1st match and followed by 2nd match, 3rd match, 4th match and 5th match within 15 minutes after the scheduled time shall be deemed “Walkover”.
- The team who has given a Walkover to its opponent shall provide reasonable and acceptable reasons to the Organising Committee. The Organising Committee may consider disqualifying* and/or withdrawing this team if the reasons given are not acceptable to the Organising Committee.
Team Walkover - Score 5 – 0 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th doubles walkover - Score 21 - 0, 21 - 0
* The disqualifying or withdrawing decision by the Organising Committee is on the team who fails to show their commitment and frequently against the General Rules and Regulation.
However, if a Team played a player who is not eligible (discovered by Organising Committee or disputed by other participant); only the result for the said match will be void or deleted. The score for the disputed match will stand as 21-0, 21-0.
- COMPOSITION OF TEAM
Each team shall consist of a minimum of ten (10) players and a maximum of fifteen (15) players. No player is allowed to represent more than one team.
No alteration/addition to the players’ list are allowed once the Registration Form is submitted, except as agreed by the Organising Committee.
Kindly register your participation with the following:
Mr. Stephen Yee
Mr. Kelvin Jee
The registration fee for each team is RM300.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Three Hundred only). The registration fees are not refundable except as agreed by the Organising Committee.
The Tournament is only limited to the first sixteen (16) teams who have successfully registered themselves.
The registration fee (either in cash or crossed cheque payable to Syarikat SESCo Berhad) shall be submitted together with the originally Registration Form signed by the team manager. All the particulars as stated in the Registration Form shall be fully provided. Copies of the players’ Identity Cards, Permanent Residents Certificate (for permanent Residents) and/or Work Permits (for Work Permits holders) shall be attached to the Registration Form, failing which the Registration will not be valid.
- CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES/REGISTRATION
The Closing Date for entries/registration falls at 12:00 noon on Thursday, 30th August 2019.
- DATE OF TOURNAMENT
This Tournament will be played commencing on Thursday, 5th September 2019. The Organising Committee reserves the right to delay or postpone matches, if necessary.
- PLACEMENT, DRAW AND TEAM CAPTAIN’S
The Organising Committee will place certain selected player/team before the Draw to be conducted. The Draw will be conducted at Level 2, Menara Sarawak Energy, at 11:00 am on Wednesday, 4th September 2019.
Team captain should be present on time to witness the draw or and the decision of the Organising Committee is FINAL. A Team Captain Meeting will be conducted immediately after the Draw.
Winners are compulsory to attend the prize presentation ceremony to collect prizes. Failure in which shall result in disqualification of the said winners. Prize presentation will be held after the finals at the venue of the tournament.
Prizes are awarded as follows:
Sarawak Energy Cup Champion
RM 8,000.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Eight Thousand only), Champion Trophy and Medal
Sarawak Energy Cup 1st Runners-up
RM 4,000.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Four Thousand only) and Medal
Sarawak Energy Cup Semi-finalists
RM 2,000.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Two Thousand only) each.
Sarawak Energy Plate Champion
RM 2,000.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Two Thousand only).
Sarawak Energy Plate 1st Runners-up
RM 1,000.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: One Thousand only).
Sarawak Energy Plate Semi-finalists
RM 500.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Five Hundred only) each.
Sarawak Energy Shield Champion
RM 500.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Five Hundred only)
Sarawak Energy Shield 1st Runner-up
RM 300.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Three Hundred only)
The official shuttlecock of this competition is YangYang300B and all the shuttlecocks will be provided by Organising Committee. The Organising Committee reserve the right to use other choice of shuttlecocks, if necessary. Any player who wishes to change shuttlecock(s) during the game must seek the permission of the officiating umpire at the court.
- UMPIRE AND LINE-JUDGES
Umpires and Line-judges will be provided for the Tournament. The decision of the Umpires is FINAL.
Should there be any dispute, the team manager shall write a letter to the Chairman of the Organising Committee with a fee of RM300.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Three Hundred only). Should the decision be made in the favour of the protesting team, the sum of RM250.00 (Ringgit Malaysia: Two Hundred and Fifty only) will be refunded. The other RM50 will be charged as the Processing Fee. All decisions made by the Organising Committee shall be FINAL and there shall be no further appeal.
- OTHER COMPETITION RULES
- The Organising Committee reserves the right to add any other rules and regulations of the Tournament, if necessary.
- Should the player/team decided to pull out from the Tournament, there shall be no refund of registration fee.
- The Organising Committee will not be held responsible or liable for any injuries and or loss/damage of any articles sustained by players arising from their participation in the Tournament.
- Other than as stated above, the Tournament will run strictly in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- Accommodation, air tickets, travelling allowance, food and etc. shall be borne by the participating team.
- The interpretation of the Rules and Regulations by the Organising Committee shall be CORRECT and FINAL.
- In the event of any questions or matters arising during the course of the Tournament, which is not expressly provided for in the rules governing this Tournament, the decision of the Organizing Committee shall be FINAL.
You may download the form here.